Local Places To Visit and Things To Do:
Sight-seeing and Places to Visit
- Glen Lyon - some history and background
on the beautiful Glen Lyon, which starts near Fortingall (about 5 miles, 12 minutes).
- Fortingall - information about the very pretty little village which inlcudes
the Fortingall Hotel, and Fortingall Church with perhaps the oldest tree in Europe, the Fortingall Yew, in the churchyard (about 5 miles, 12 minutes).
- Scottish Crannog Centre - reconstruction of an ancient
dwelling house, about 2,500 years old, built out into Loch Tay on stilts. Just outside Kenmore (about 6 miles, 15 minutes).
- Castle Menzies - sixteenth century Scottish castle, was the seat of the Clan Menzies.
Just a few miles away on the road between Aberfeldy and Glengoulandie (about 6 miles, 12 minutes).
- The Mains of Taymouth - cafe, restaurant, shop and delicatessen, located just outside Kenmore.
- The House of Bruar - food hall, restaurant and
large range of Scottish country clothing and homewares. Just off the A9 North of Blair Atholl (about 20 miles, 35 minutes).
- Schiehallion - often called the Fairy Mountain
(and famous for being used in a 1774 experiment to measure the mass of the earth) is almost on the door step.
It is regarded as one of the easiest Munro's to climb (weather permitting)
and the starting point of the walk at the Braes of Foss car park is only about 3 miles up the road from the Lodges.
And in Autumn 2019 there is a
new circular walking route as a shorter alternative, and giving a new perspective of the area.
- Ben Lawers Nature Reserve on the North side of Loch Tay,
owned and operated by the National Trust for Scotland.
At almost 4,000 feet, Ben Lawers is the tenth highest mountain in the UK and makes a great walk with spectacular views of Loch Tay, Glen Lyon and further afield.
There are also enjoyable nature trails and interesting history for those wanting a more modest walk.
- Tay Forest Park - forest walks managed by the Forestry Commission.
The Tay Forest Park extends over various sites including spectacular views over Loch Tummel at
and over Loch Tay from
There are also sites at
Braes of Foss
which is just up the road from the lodges at the foot of Schiehallion,
on the shore of Loch Tay, and
Weem which is between Aberfeldy and Gelngoulandie.
- The Watermill - an award-winning bookshop and gallery
housed in a converted oatmeal mill in Aberfeldy. The cafe is well worth a visit for coffee or lunch.
- Dewar's Aberfeldy Distillery - tour the
Dewar's Whisky Distillery just outside Aberfeldy.
- Karelia House - craft shop with coffee shop. Fine selection of fabrics, yarns and craft supplies. Just at the bottom of the hill in Keltneyburn (4 miles, 9 minutes).
- The Highland Chocolatier - luxury gourment chocolates and gift shop, Grandtully (13 miles, 25 minutes)
- Bolfracks Estate and Gardens - ornamental gardens between Aberfeldy and Kenmore (about 10 miles, 20 minutes).
- Cluny House - magical woodland garden with rare and exotic plants, and a good chance to see
red squirrels (about 10 miles, 20 minutes).
- Blair Castle - impressive castle and gardens,
dating back to 1269. Part of the Atholl Estate (about 20 miles, 40 minutes).
- Blair Castle Horse Trials - take place in August.
- Highland Games - there are Highland Games and Gatherings across Scotland, from mid-May to mid-September.
The nearest events take place in Aberfeldy (the Atholl and Breadalbane Highland Gathering), Kenmore, Pitlochry, Killin, Crieff, Birnam, and Perth.
Here are dates and here are locations.
- Visit Aberfeldy - list of things to see and do in and around Aberfeldy,
including a good selection of local walks.
- Highland Perthshire - tourism web site listing many activities and places to visit in the area.
- Visit Scotland - web site
with huge amount of information and links for places to visit and a wide range of activities.
- National Trust for Scotland - sites owned and operated by NTS,
ranging from castles, gardens, historic properties, nature reserves, battlefield sites and areas of beautiful countryside.
Nearest site is the Ben Lawers Nature Reserve on the North side of Loch Tay.
Activities and Adventures
- Local Golf Courses at
Aberfeldy Golf Club in Aberfeldy,
Mains of Taymouth (formerly Kenmore Golf Course), and
Taymouth Castle Golf Club (also at Kenmore).
- Salmon fishing on the Tay - can be arranged through the Bolfracks Estate (and other sources).
- Highland Safaris - offer Land Rover safaris,
off-road driving, gold panning, self-guided cycle and walking trips. Based only a few miles away, between Glengoulandie and Aberfeldy.
- Splash White-water Rafting - offer activities such as
rafting, kayaking, canyoning, abseiling, moutain biking, quad bikes, and more. Based in Aberfeldy.
- Beyond Adventure - also based in Aberfedly, provide kayak and canoe coaching.
- Nae Limits - offer white-water rafting, canyoning, cliff jumping,
clay pigeon shooting, quad biking, and other activities. Based in Ballinluig.
- Fitness Centre and Swimming Pool - at the Breadalbane Community Campus in Aberfeldy.
- Horse Riding and Pony Trekking - for all ages and abilities at Mains of Taymouth Stables, just outside Kenmore.
- Skiing and Snowboarding - at Glenshee (about 50 miles, 1 hour 30 minutes). Also at
Carin Gorm near Aviemore (about 60 miles, 1 hour 30 minutes).
- Rhino Car Hire - an option should you wish to hire a car for your holiday.
If you make a holiday booking with us, our confirmation email will include a link which gives a 10% discount off a booking with Rhino Car Hire.
(We provide this as a service. We do not have any business relationship with Rhino Car Hire, and do not receive any booking commission from them).
As there are so many things to see and do in the area, the list above is by no means complete. There are many more options beyond those mentioned above.